Wednesday, May 31, 2017

An Introduction: What Pride Means To Me

Hiya! My name is Tilly. I’m a 24 year old bisexual woman--

--and I’ve never been to Pride.

“Somewhere Over The Rainbow” plays in the background.

I was very lucky to grow up in a household where my parents embraced individuality and uniqueness and applied a parenting style that created a subconscious that never said my siblings and I couldn’t be anything but ourselves. They had no expectations of us other than to be happy and healthy. So coming out March of last year was actually very uneventful. I gathered my family and announced: “I am bisexual!” My mother told me she loved me no matter what... and then proceeded to ask if she could continue washing dishes. I mean, my brother also clapped but that was really it. No glitter or confetti or Gaga in the background.

Just: you’re still you… but gay sometimes.

Which is phenomenal. Not everyone is as lucky to be accepted as instantly and wholeheartedly as I am, whoever I am. And I’m so grateful.

I’m still very new to the LGBTQIA+ community; still delving into the history, still hearing about other people’s experiences, and still trying to figure out what my place is. I have a few queer friends but really my only experiences with discovering the LGBTQIA+ community have only been through the media: TV shows, movies, books, Tumblr, etc. And for some people, that’s their only available connection because maybe it’s not safe for them to come out or they don’t have any queer friends or family or they’re still trying to discover who they are.

I’ve never been to Pride and I don't quite know what it means to me yet, it's the same for a lot of people in those situations above. So I think that’s a part of why representation in media is so important. Not only to resemble and accept a more realistic world full of diversity but also to reach as many people on this Earth as possible and give them something to connect and relate to.

That’s why I’m starting this blog.

I want you to think of it as a place for us both to help discover Pride and representation through reviews and news of television, movies, books, manga, comics/graphic novels, and video games that have LGBTQIA+ themes. I also want us to find a safe space here for all.

Maybe along the way, I can help someone discover what Pride means to them, find out what Pride means to me, and make my way to finally celebrating Pride next year!

Stay happy my darlings,


~ Tilly ~

2 comments:

Bisexual Representation in the Media (or Lack Thereof)

Welcome to the re-launch of QCity! Last month we had Celebrate Bisexuality Day / Bisexual Visibility Day! As a proud bisexual woman, tha...